Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Surgery Scheduled

Today Jim had his pre-op appointment for his fistula surgery. It is scheduled for Wednesday, February 15th. While it is done as an outpatient procedure, it is still a 1-2 hour procedure done under general anesthetic. Dr. Patrick Geraghty is the vascular surgeon performing the surgery at Barnes.

Here is a better explanation of what will happen....

An AV fistula is a dialysis access that is created by connecting an artery to a vein during a short surgery. AV fistulas can be created anywhere from the wrist through the upper arm.
 

The process of hemodialysis requires that blood pass through an artificial kidney. With a fistula, blood from the arterial side of the fistula passes through a needle into the artificial kidney, is cleaned, and returns to the body through a needle in the venous side. A fistula is useful because arteries are deep in your body and would be difficult to get an access needle into.

The recovery time is pretty quick and complications are minimal.

In the mean time, I continue to work on my blood pressure. I started Weight Watchers 3 weeks ago in hopes of losing weight which would help with my blood pressure. I have increased by blood pressure medication and go back to my doctor on Monday. While I would love to have a handful of Oreos and milk for a snack tonight.... I'm going to settle for an orange.

Once I can get my blood pressure under control, hopefully we're on our way for a transplant and this whole fistula surgery will have been for nothing. Keep praying......


No comments: