Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Iothalimate Scan (GFR)

Today I spent 5 hours at Barnes doing my Iothalimate Scan in order to get a more accurate GFR reading. GFR is the best indication on your kidney function.

I started off drinking 6 drops of potassium iodine. What this does is it blocks the radioactive tracer I am injected with from going to my thyroid which forces it to go to my kidneys. Blood is drawn every 30 minutes for the first 2 hours and then once an hour the last 2 hours. I was able to move around and go outside and enjoy the particularly beautiful day today. I was able to read my book and watch TV to also pass the time.

The blood is then put in a machine where it takes 3 hours to process the results. All in all is wasn't bad. I should hopefully hear back from the transplant team this week with the result and we will be able to proceed with the next step. I'm thinking very positive thoughts.....

No comments: