Tuesday, September 7, 2010

A Perfect Match

Today I heard from Susan Martin, Jim’s transplant coordinator, that he and I are a perfect match (duh… I already knew that).  

  • Jim and I have the same blood type (O positive).
  • Tissue typing - a process of identifying genetic markers (antigens) on white blood cells, we have 1 antigen that matches. She stated that years ago, it was necessary to have at least a 6 antigen match for a successful kidney transplant. Now with medication, this is no longer necessary, so 1 is good.
  • Crossmatch - Your body makes substances called antibodies, which are produced by the immune system to attack foreign substances, such as bacteria and viruses. To ensure that you don't already have antibodies to the donor, a test called a crossmatch is done. If the crossmatch is negative, you don't have antibodies to the donor and you're eligible to receive this kidney. I have no preformed antibodies!!! 
  • My hepatitis test was negative. Testing is conducted for potentially transmissible diseases.
  • My hemoglobin is good - higher than normal levels may be caused by heart disease.
Since I currently take 2 blood pressure medications, I need to talk to my primary physician about getting off of one. They typically want the donor to be on only 1 blood pressure medication. I will talk to her in December and see if I can start to wean myself off of one of them.

Lindsay's test results should be available next week. We'll see what her tests show. Since we know I'm a match, I would prefer to be the donor.

My thoughts:  It’s a relief just to know that I may be able to help Jim. Again, it may be another year or two before he would be at end-stage renal disease…at least I know I can help him before he would have to go on dialysis.

No comments: